R | McHale Law’s Non-Profits practice delivers comprehensive legal services in all aspects of nonprofit law, governance, and regulation. From initial organization to obtaining IRS tax-exempt status and complying with federal and state laws governing fund-raising and operations, we skillfully help non-profit organizations grow and succeed, providing high quality legal services in a prompt and cost-effective manner.
Our areas of counsel include:
- Assisting in non-profit business formation, including preparing all organizational documents (e.g., articles of incorporation and bylaws)
- Securing IRS recognition of tax-exempt status, including preparing and filing IRS Forms 1023 (Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code) and 1024 (Application for Recognition of Exemption Under Section 501(a))
- Advising on all aspects of tax-exempt organization laws and regulation, particularly as they relate to 501(c)(3) charitable and scientific organizations
- Advising on a wide variety of nonprofit governance-related matters, including board structure, composition, roles, and responsibilities; liability, risk management, and insurance; conflicts of interest policies; private benefit transactions; fiduciary duties; membership standards; record-retention policies and practices; board and executive compensation; unrelated business income; corporate compliance programs; internal investigations; regulatory compliance; and annual reporting
- Protecting and managing clients’ intellectual property assets (including their copyrights, trademarks, and trade secrets)
R | McHale Law’s Non-Profits practice draws upon the experience, acumen and insight of the firm’s complementary service areas: General Corporate, Licensing & Technology Transactions, Privacy & Data Security, Promotion, Marketing & Advertising, and Trademark, Trade Dress & Domain Names.